12 Years
She bursts into tears one day over her school work: "Nothing I have to do is anything I like doing any more."
She wonders if maybe she doesn't even like reading anymore because none of the books she used to read interest her.
She cries more often and doesn't know why.
She asks adult questions about hard topics, like unwed mothers and euthanasia, government control, divorce and money.
She says to me, when we talk about our hopes to move this summer, "I'd like to move. I'm ready for a change!"
She says to me, when we talk about our hopes to move this summer, "I'd like to move. I'm ready for a change!"
One is coming for my little woman, move or not, and I'm glad she is ready, because I am not at all sure that I am! In these moments I can see her changing little by little. She's fun and friendly, respectful and quiet, justice-loving and a deep thinker. She's our Turtle. And I'm always so moved to remember, when her birthday comes around, of the day that she was born, the day I was born into a mother and my life changed forever.
And now, I think its about to change again. This new stage of mothering an adolescent is one I approach with a great feeling of bewilderment and unpreparedness. And she is always the one to lead me into new places of parenting, this steady firstborn of mine. I am praying and wishing and hoping for good for her as she moves from the still waters of childhood, in to the unknown waters of adolescence. My dearest Turtle, you have my heart completely. I pray also that I am a woman and a mother worthy of this great privilege to be by your side in these years past and to come!
First birthday post, and first post on this blog!

Comments
I remember ... how has it been 12 years. I mean it seems so long but not.
You are such an incredible mother. I'll keep learning from you and hoping I can be half of who you are.
The painting is called “Youth” from the set of four called The Voyage of Life by Thomas Cole