Six Months Pregnant

I have reached the third trimester and with it comes the creeping aches and pains of late pregnancy.  I find myself wishing for Thanksgiving to come, so I that I can be almost done, and at the same time, I am looking forward to the cool, crisp season of fall and the last few months of decent sleep and diaper bag freedom.

I found this blog and this beautiful post not long ago and so much of what the author shares rings true for me.  I would not call myself an achiever the way she describes, but I do struggle with resenting and being frustrated by my inability to do what I want to be able to do while pregnant.  I loved her voice saying, "Embrace this season of slowness that feels like weakness.  There is strength to be found there."

As I grow closer to my due date, I usually start to count down the weeks . . . 12 weeks till the baby, 11 weeks till I can lie on my stomach/back, 10 weeks till my veins don't ache, 9 weeks until my hips don't hurt . . . and on and on, usually with more gritted teeth in the last 3 weeks or so.   I want to savor the pregnancy, the movements inside, the vast privilege of this co-creating, the swell of my belly . . . but so often I don't.   

As this third trimester begins I am making resolves to be patient.  I am breathing deeply into this slow and careful work of growing a baby, and maybe, God willing, I will grow a little patience and humility too.

I bought this book called Waiting in Wonder back in the early summer.  I felt drawn to slow down and cherish the weeks, and also knew that I needed prayer time and journaling time to devote to what I am doing, as so often the world and my "external" children call all my attention and I forget that there is one within that I need to remember too.  It has blessed me to take each week to prayer and to read the simple, peaceful wisdom that the author has filled the pages with.


Pregnancy flashbacks:
Six months pregnant with Sparky 
Six months with Sunshine
Six months with Rosebud (how am I so small in this? It looks like a 20 week shot!)

Comments

Heather said…
I'll have to bookmark that book for future reference!