{7QT} Summer

The summer is flying by and we have been so busy doing all the summery things there are to do, so I haven't taken time to write.  It has been so luxurious to be off school and have these long, hot, unscheduled days to enjoy!

Here are some snippets of the summer for our family:




1. 
Our yearly week vacation at the beach with my mom's side of the family. Grandpa and Grandma, and now just Grandma, have been inviting us all to come together every year for as long as I can remember (missing only the year of Grandpa's death in 2013).  Its wonderful to see a tradition such as this one in all its forms, as children grow and grandparents age and relationships are formed and changed.  We've been through some rocky vacation years -- no family is without drama -- but I was grateful and blessed to bring my children to this week at the beach.
Ooops, I never posted about 2012, or 2014

2.  
The baby is growing!

20 weeks
12 weeks

3.
D. and I were finally able to take our long-anticipated 10th anniversary trip . . . . for our 11th anniversary.  We went to Fort Lauderdale for 5 whole days and it was heavenly!  It was so good for us to spend such a long stretch of time together and we felt very blessed to have the resources, the family to help with the kids, and the opportunity.
The view from our hotel

Airboating in the Everglades
4.
We of course, spend alot of time in the water, either at the pool in our neighborhood

 or in the blow-up pool in the backyard.

It is great that this year Sparky is pretty independent in the water.  I can actually sometimes just sit on the side!  Last year he wanted  to be the water, but only under a list a specific conditions that always included Mommy being less than one-inch away from him at all times, and at least 50 huge jumps into the water in a row, on repeat for the entire time we were there.  It was never nice, or relaxing.


5.
One morning, while the older girls were at a camp, Sunshine and Sparky and I went blueberry picking.  I had never taken them -- in fact, I think this was the last time we had been! -- and they loved it.   Sunshine was astounded that she actually liked the fresh-picked, sun-warmed blueberries, when she swore she wouldn't, because she doesn't like store-bought.



There were black raspberries there too. (Sparky was very concerned about the juice looking like blood.)
And in one of the rows there was a lovely little nest of baby red-winged blackbirds!


6.
The lovely robin's eggs in our front yard (in this post) were sadly eaten by a crow.  We saw the scoundrel making off with half of them one afternoon and although we scared him away, crows are intelligent enough to remember where the second half of the eggs were kept and he made off with them later on.  It was pitiful to hear the mother robins' high piercing cheeps as he robbed her. 

We did find a baby robin one evening near our curb and he seemed so fragile and helpless that we were worried that he had left the nest too soon.  However, we read that fledgling robins always wander and flap around for some days while learning to fly, and the parents will watch from a distance and occasionally bring food.  

7.
I always wonder why I don't make time to blog more often, but during this post I have been whined at several times, mitigated an argument, had to cut someone's peach for them, and it has taken me an hour and a half to finish.  Sigh.  There is nothing like being interrupted over and over to make me want to give up doing anything of my own.

And on that real-life-mothering note, I close this post. :)


Comments