A head full of nothing {7QT}
. . . and everything. That ever-present clique of "time flies" is so annoyingly true that I can't stand it. No sooner does one day, one experience, one thought pass through my life then it gets shoved unceremoniously out by the next. It's too fast for my head . . . much less my heart . . . to keep up.
I wrote voraciously as a girl. Almost all fiction. Almost all unfinished. I would run out of steam on one story and switch to a new one. My old notebooks and binders are full of half-finished ramblings. The first story that I wrote and illustrated at 7 or 8 was called "The Princesses and Their Guardian Angels." I spent so much time rewriting the first chapters and redrawing the pictures that I never finished it. There was one romance "novel" I stayed pretty dedicated to, but after many years and three full notebooks, it still remained unfinished, until a half dozen or so years ago when I scrawled out the ending chapters, just to lay it to rest.
This is my girl who tells me she doesn't like writing, has cried over her Just Write workbook, never chooses to write anything that's not assigned, and yet . . . I think she is pretty proud of herself. We've been reading aloud Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown and in this book Betsy is writing stories all the time and talking about being a writer when she grows up. Betsy also talks about sending her current stories to the magazine to print too. Turtle and Rosebud (who wrote a similar princess story once she knew that she would be allowed to type it on the computer) played it cool as they casually asked me if their stories could be sent to a magazine? Or maybe just to all our family members?
Turtle's soccer team had a "Crazy Hair" practice this past Monday. She "won" the contest (just bragging rights) and that also made her proud this week. Rosebud, ever the striving second sister, poor girl, is disappointed that her team doesn't do that! And why can't she play on the U9 team anyway?? "I'm a soccer star!" she says. :)

The neighborhood pool is opening in two days! What? We have already broken out our blow up yard pool earlier this week. Swimsuits are on my mind, specifically my large (haha) doubt that I will ever look good in one again . . .or find one that fulfills my 45,768 requirements. But, laying them all aside and just dream, I want this swimsuit!
1.
I love the spiritual writer Henri Nouwen. I have quoted him on this blog before, and most pertinently to my thoughts today, I've quoted him about writing. He says things about writing that makes me hunger to write more copiously, more often, more creatively, to stretch out my soul-wings in this way.
“Writing is not just jotting down ideas. Often we say: ‘I don’t know what to write. I have no thoughts worth writing down.’ But much good writing emerges from the process of writing itself. As we simply sit down in front of a sheet of paper and start to express in words what is on our minds or in our hearts, new ideas emerge, ideas that can surprise us and lead us to inner places we hardly knew were there.
“One of the most satisfying aspects of writing is that it can open in us deep wells of hidden treasures that are beautiful for us as well as for others to see.”
— Henri Nouwen
When I read this quote or posts like this from Kelle Hampton something in me leaps up in eagerness. I haven't found my path to writing more yet . . . not for anyone but me . . . maybe I'm just letting "life" eat up that urge too much. . . maybe I'm just lazy.
2.
I wrote voraciously as a girl. Almost all fiction. Almost all unfinished. I would run out of steam on one story and switch to a new one. My old notebooks and binders are full of half-finished ramblings. The first story that I wrote and illustrated at 7 or 8 was called "The Princesses and Their Guardian Angels." I spent so much time rewriting the first chapters and redrawing the pictures that I never finished it. There was one romance "novel" I stayed pretty dedicated to, but after many years and three full notebooks, it still remained unfinished, until a half dozen or so years ago when I scrawled out the ending chapters, just to lay it to rest.
3.
So, this week Turtle wrote her very first fiction story! It made me happy to see her doing and enjoying something that I spend so much time doing!This is my girl who tells me she doesn't like writing, has cried over her Just Write workbook, never chooses to write anything that's not assigned, and yet . . . I think she is pretty proud of herself. We've been reading aloud Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown and in this book Betsy is writing stories all the time and talking about being a writer when she grows up. Betsy also talks about sending her current stories to the magazine to print too. Turtle and Rosebud (who wrote a similar princess story once she knew that she would be allowed to type it on the computer) played it cool as they casually asked me if their stories could be sent to a magazine? Or maybe just to all our family members?
4.

5.
Well, this post is moving from introspective rambling, to ho-hum tidbits about my kids, to even more shallow and self-centered talk. . . wait for it . . .
The neighborhood pool is opening in two days! What? We have already broken out our blow up yard pool earlier this week. Swimsuits are on my mind, specifically my large (haha) doubt that I will ever look good in one again . . .or find one that fulfills my 45,768 requirements. But, laying them all aside and just dream, I want this swimsuit!
6.
And this coverup. It looks so effortless to be that lovely, doesn't it? 
7.
Sparky and Sunshine were my companions this week in planting some vegetable seeds. I plan this year to utilize the fall growing season (since I basically missed the spring season) and so I ordered some peas and spinach and other seeds from St Clare Seeds (H.T. Sarah). I am hoping this year for better success than last! It was our best attempt but still a lot of room for improvement! I think I can . . .I think I can . . .
Visit Kelly's for more 7 Quick Takes. Happy Friday!

Comments