Rosebud Turns 7

 My dear Rosebud,

You are SEVEN!
Yesterday you drew me a picture with a rainbow and gray clouds and on the back you wrote:  To Mom, I made this for you, Love Rosebud, age 6.  And I smiled and sighed, for that was the last day that you would be 6, and my heart swells to see how fast you are growing!
 Every year on December 29th I think of you, starting our labor sure and clear with the first contraction on the eve of the feast of the Holy Family.  I remember going to Mass the next day, December 30th 2007, Turtle at home with Daddy, listening to the readings about families and waiting for you, making through the several contractions throughout with difficulty and wondering why 15+ hours in, they were still so far apart.
And then, on Monday, the 31st, still waiting, Daddy and I finally dropped Turtle off at Nana and Pop-Pop's because it MUST be almost time.  But still we were forced to dally, perusing bookstores, and getting Subway, and waiting, waiting, still waiting for the contractions to come closer, and for you to come out into the world and our oh-so-waiting arms.

When you were finally ready, it was so close to 2008 that I wondered whether the "December baby" we thought you would be would really be a January baby!  But no, you were good and ready and an hour before the New Year, we held you, dear and pink and dark-headed.  We were so happy!  And even then, even for how much we loved you then, in the dim delivery room in breathless relief and bliss, we didn't know how wonderful you really were.

But now we've had seven years with you.  Seven years of your gift of joy, your big heart ready for all the fun and all the adventures, and all the love that the world has to hold.  
I remember one spring day, when you about 4, and we were walking in the woods and you saw a lone large ant walking across our path and you cried:  "An ant!!  Don't hurt him!  He wants to stay in the world!"
And that, for me, is you, my Rosebud.  You are in love in a special way with this great, beautiful world in your generous big heart.  And I'm so glad I get to be here to see it with you.  Thank you, Rosebud!
Happy 7th Birthday!

You are an enthusiastic animal lover

You are an intrepid optimist -- always ready for a new adventure!
You are sweet and kind to your little brother and so generous in sharing with him

You always have been my water baby!

You boldly took that "patch test" and jumped from the 3 meter board with characteristic self-confidence !
"Making dough" -- one of your favorite things

You are always eager to help and have so many "good idea[s], Mom!"


You were so interested in our garden and delighted  with our first yield!

Turning Two

Turning Three

Rosebud and Gymastics

My Whirlwind

Comments