First Day of School


Another school year has begun.  

We started out talking about our rules for the year: you all get a turn with mommy, no interrupting others turns with mommy, math and reading every day, morning jobs done before school, we start at 9am -- basic stuff. I gave them new pencils and sharpeners and we jumped in. 

Sparky cried a lot, had three pee accidents, threw alphabet Lotto all over the room, climbed on the table many times, while Sunshine milked her mommy time for all it was worth and then had tantrums about having to do something on her own. Rosebud showed me every word she wrote every two minutes and was completely confused by the one lesson I gave her.  I stupidly got in over my head reading only a passably Christian book about the beginning of the world.  But I soon realized I wasn't sure if the whole "millions of years of human beings" was right or wrong.  (Is the earth 6000 years old or 4.5 billion years old??  Wha?? This debate is so crazy to me!) So . . . we had to talk "days" of creation in the Bible and how most people are guessing and may be wrong and the difference between a blind guess and educated one ... And oh my,I don't know and my kids have questions!!  Sigh.  
See?  Unprepared me. 

 I liked Sarah's post "Do It Afraid"  It encouraged me.  This day wasn't like I envisioned making it. Half the stuff I got for this year isn't here yet.  The library holds aren't ready.  I haven't printed the things I planned to print. There isn't a homeschooling room in our basement like there was supposed
to be before we started sharing that room with my brother.  I'm still pulling stuff off of a cascading shelf and will be putting away everything every day. 

It's not perfect. 
It's far from perfect.  
But somehow it will work out.  I have to do this, and so I will. God is helping me because He has chosen this path for us.   My kids are eager and excited. But I just wish I could love doing it a little more.

Comments