Seven Quick Takes, vol 32 ~ Link Edition
A collection of my favorite links from this week -- no connection between them all other than my appreciation for them!
1.
I'm really excited about this series starting up at Sarah's. She is one of my favorite homeschooling encouragement writers!
I'm really excited about this series starting up at Sarah's. She is one of my favorite homeschooling encouragement writers!
2.
The book Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
by Anthony Esolen, has been on my To Read list for a long time. I loved the quote highlighted here: The Wren on the Fencepost -- can't wait to read the whole book!
The book Ten Ways to Destroy the Imagination of Your Child
3.
We've been learning about some great artists and looking at their art this week (more on that later). I found this video that we watched on Jackson Pollock and his technique to be fascinating! I tend not to appreciate much modern art. However, since I am trying to give my girls a balanced view of the kind of art that people can create I have been withholding my judgement. I found myself really liking this "Action Painting" of Pollock's. It's almost like dancing. People are amazing creatures!
We've been learning about some great artists and looking at their art this week (more on that later). I found this video that we watched on Jackson Pollock and his technique to be fascinating! I tend not to appreciate much modern art. However, since I am trying to give my girls a balanced view of the kind of art that people can create I have been withholding my judgement. I found myself really liking this "Action Painting" of Pollock's. It's almost like dancing. People are amazing creatures!
4.
D. has been working so hard this month. He leaves at 7am, works till 6pm, comes home for dinner and a brief hour or two here, then many nights goes back to the office from 8 until 12 . . . or 2am. It is hard for him, and of course lonely for me. But I would like to share this brief reflection on work for the sake of one's children. It makes me smile and realize anew: my husband is such a good man.
D. has been working so hard this month. He leaves at 7am, works till 6pm, comes home for dinner and a brief hour or two here, then many nights goes back to the office from 8 until 12 . . . or 2am. It is hard for him, and of course lonely for me. But I would like to share this brief reflection on work for the sake of one's children. It makes me smile and realize anew: my husband is such a good man.
5.
This soup is so delicious: Pioneer Woman's Tortilla Soup
This soup is so delicious: Pioneer Woman's Tortilla Soup
Try curling up on the couch with a hot bowl of this goodness and your favorite TV show on a lonely, cold winter night. It helps. :)
(I used leftover chuck roast that I had previously cooked in the crockpot with taco seasoning. I'm sure chicken is delicious too!)
6.
This is one of my absolute favorite parenting articles of all time: A Parent's Role. The title doesn't necessarily grab you, but it is really full of practical advice that is applicable to every situation -- seriously! It dispels the myth that Montessori is an excessively child-oriented way of parenting. And it gives you respectful words to use with your children that are respectful to you too!
This is one of my absolute favorite parenting articles of all time: A Parent's Role. The title doesn't necessarily grab you, but it is really full of practical advice that is applicable to every situation -- seriously! It dispels the myth that Montessori is an excessively child-oriented way of parenting. And it gives you respectful words to use with your children that are respectful to you too!
You will see what I mean when you read it! :)
7.
I have saved the best for last! This brings tears to my eyes. My favorite line is: "We are a gift to the world."
I have saved the best for last! This brings tears to my eyes. My favorite line is: "We are a gift to the world."
I'm a bit late, but you can still visit Jen's for more Quick Takes!


Comments