Five Favorites, vol 5 ~ Books!

 Today, I'm choosing five of our current favorite books for the 6-9 year old. I've recommended children's books on this blog before, but they were for younger children, and now that my girls are growing, I am listing five "older, more interesting" (as my girls say!) books that they are enjoying, some as read-alouds and some on their own.


1.


 One of our favorites!  The Golden Name Day, by Jennie D. Lindquist.  A little girl from the city comes to live in the country for a time and her days are full of simple childhood joys -- animals and flowers, baking and friends.  The writing is warm and inviting in an old-timey way.  There are two sequels, The Little Silver House and The Crystal Tree.

2.
Clues in the Woods  by Peggy Parish (of Amelia Bedelia fame).  My girls are reading this on their own.  The mystery of disappearing garbage scraps gets deeper as a puppy vanishes and berries get picked by someone mysterious.  Just the right amount of exciting!  Key to the Treasure is a follow up with another "mystery" involving secret codes.  
3.

by Betty MacDonald.  
The children are troublesome, the parents are at their wits end and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle always has a funny solution.  My girls laugh at the silliness of this book!


 I did preview this to make sure that it didn't descend into disrespectful treatment of discipline questions, but I judged that it maintained a lighthearted approach that demeans neither parents nor children in the story.  I did discuss a bit with the girls to make sure they "got the joke" ;)  We love the chapter about the squabbling sisters!


4.
Turtle enjoys these "detective" stories of Nate the Great and can read most of them herself.  Nate is a self-reliant boy who solves cases of missing cats and lost birthday presents.  Turtle has copied down "Nate's Pancake Recipe" that he cooks when he's stumped. She wants us to give it a try too.  (Maybe it will help her remember the 4 times table!)
5.
This book is engaging and interesting, covering many aspects of Native American life and the traditions of different tribes.  The illustrations on every page are beautifully done -- demonstrating many things,such as homes, tools, games, weapons and dress.  It is copyrighted in 1950, so you may find it a bit un-politically correct, as the title indicates. :)  I, for one, thought the topic to be well-handled: clear, factual and not sugar-coated, but without delving into moral issues of the Native American and their relationship to the "white man" that some children may not be ready to digest.





Linking at Moxie Wife!

And joining the 7 posts in 7 days Challenge

Comments