The Best One

You know how many comments mothers get. 
Whether you have one child or ten, people have many thoughts on children that they usually feel compelled to share upon seeing you. 
"You have your hands full!"
"What beautiful children!"
"Uhhh, she's getting into your wipes."
"That poor kid with 3 big sisters!"
"I hope you're having a boy this time."
"Wow, you're a brave woman."
"Enjoy it now when they're little!"
"I could never do that, I can barely handle two!"
"Don't let her put that in her mouth!"

I've heard the above comments several to many times each.  I usually smile and mind my business. People have opinions to express and are looking for connection and mothers with children are good outlets for those needs. 

But, my favorite comment is one I heard last month. I was on the Amtrak train to NYC with Sparky.  He was fussing and I was bracing myself in the aisle of the crowded train trying to bounce him into silence.  The train was reaching a stop and people were collecting in the aisle to exit. I flattened back out of the way. Sparky, staring at the people, stopped crying. A middle-aged man in front of me looked over at us, smiled and asked me Sparky's age. I said 6 months. He smiled more broadly, a warm and genuine smile and said: "Let me tell ya, it just gets better!"

And that, my friends, is the best comment anyone has ever made to me about my life.
  It just gets better. 

Comments

emptee A said…
I love this: "it just gets better". I have been thinking about how so many people say "oh please take them" or "just wait until she's 3...it's awful." I'm sure each age has it's ups and downs but I only get this once so I'm going to cherish the "fun". That man had such a kind comment.