Seven Quick Takes, vol 24
In lieu of a Friday Quick Takes post, on which day I will be home in the country, I thought I would post today.
1. My husband pulled an all-nighter last night. He said he dozed for about 45 min but that was it. The proposals and the designing had to get done, short week or no short week. That man is amazing. He was chipper as a jaybird this morning at 6:00am when he left the house.
Does anyone want to know who deals with kids in the night? Hmm. Let me give you a clue. He is NOT the one of whom it might be said, as Sheldon says of Penny: "Shh, if you wake her she will maul you like a rabid wolverine."
(Don't worry, nursing babies are safe, thanks to some miraculous instinct.)
2. I have put a little trampoline in the basement for the girls amidst the storage. I really am going to be assigning people 40 bounces and such when they get wild. This house is too small for rowdiness and winter is upon us. Ahh! (I am blithely ignoring my husbands premonitions of disaster caused by bodies bouncing in a horizontal direction.)
3. I love the upcoming feast of Christ the King! Its one of my favorite ways we honor Jesus. As my sister in law noted to me though, the feast is actually called Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe. I agree with her that sounds sort of superheroesque. Like Jesus will jump out with a cape and crown and a "JC" emblazoned on His muscle-y chest and strike a pose.
4. According to my internet research:
"In his 1969 motu proprio Mysterii Paschalis, Pope Paul VI gave the celebration a new title: "D. N. Iesu Christi universorum Regis" (Our Lord Jesus Christ King of the Universe). He also gave it a new date: the last Sunday in the liturgical year, before a new year begins with the First Sunday in Advent, the earliest date for which is 27 November. Through this choice of date "the eschatological importance of this Sunday is made clearer".[4] He assigned to it the highest rank, that of "Solemnity".[5]"
So, I guess when the feast got moved from October, "Christ the King" became the superhero He is now. :) And isn't He just the best??
5. Tomorrow will be the anniversary of my little niece's departure to Heaven (my sister miscarried her at 17 weeks on Thanksgiving day) so say a little prayer for her family.
6. I'm learning Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the piano. It's the first time I've learned a new piece in probably a decade. It's going very slowly, but I like to think of the baby listening.
7. I'm reading my first birthing book for this pregnancy. It's called Birthing From Within, by Pam England. It's a little "hippy" with obvious Zen principles at work, but I am keeping a open mind (haha, like a Zen principle says :). I do like the emphasis on the psychological significance to a woman of labor and delivery, and the assertion that women know how to birth deep down, though they may not know that they know it. This is a good quote:
"Women have to prepare for birth in their heart and soul, not their head. Giving birth is something a woman does in her body, not in her head."
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
Visit Jen's for more Quick Takes -- on Friday that is.

Comments