Walking with Sunshine
Last night, when the bigger girls had gone to Daddy's softball game, Sunshine and I took a little walk. Well, the distance that we walked was little, probably .3 miles, however the time it took was over an hour. We stopped to look at everything, rocks, leaves, paint on the sidewalk, blades of grass. She fixed her baby in the stroller, took sitting breaks, filled her "diaper bag" with leaves, checked inside every storm drain and chattered the whole way.
As the minute hand inched closer to 7 o'clock and since we had started at 5:40, without having eaten dinner, I must confess I began to hurry her. But overall I was very glad for her opportunity to walk without her sisters (or her Daddy) to rush off ahead with goal-oriented speed. It's good to slow down sometimes.
“At the age of two years the child has a need for walking…But the child does not want to get anywhere, he just wants to walk, and to help him truly, the adult must follow the child…The child walks with his eyes as well as with his legs, and it is the interesting things on the walk that carry him along.”
Maria Montessori, “Education for a New World”
As the minute hand inched closer to 7 o'clock and since we had started at 5:40, without having eaten dinner, I must confess I began to hurry her. But overall I was very glad for her opportunity to walk without her sisters (or her Daddy) to rush off ahead with goal-oriented speed. It's good to slow down sometimes.
“At the age of two years the child has a need for walking…But the child does not want to get anywhere, he just wants to walk, and to help him truly, the adult must follow the child…The child walks with his eyes as well as with his legs, and it is the interesting things on the walk that carry him along.”
Maria Montessori, “Education for a New World”

Comments