Sunshine Sweetness

 I love the age that my little Sunshine is!  She's 20 months now and right in the middle of my favorite stage of toddlerhood.  Her sweet smiles and darling attempts to be a big girl make me happy.
When I find her using a chair to get herself something to drink and cascading "wa-wa" all over the floor, or dragging that chair to reach something I don't want her to have, like her "papsy" (pacifier), I am proud of her resourcefulness.  Every new word that comes from her little rosy lips is music to my ears.  When she throws her little fit, fake-pouting her face and throwing herself strategically on the floor in the corner, I try to hide a laugh.  When she plays trains or dollhouse, carefully and precisely just the way her sisters do, then I love how she is following them.  When she spends the whole day with a purse on her arm, or cries for "flah-flahs" (flip-flops) like her big sisters, or is devastated when she doesn't get to run errands with Daddy like the bigger girls, I sigh and smile at her determination to grow up . . . all too fast.


A tantrum in the corner. :)


And I want to cry out:  Please, please, dearest, don't grow up!  Oh, little Sunshine, you are perfect and darling just the way you are and I never want you to change.   I love your snuggliness, something your sisters lost so much earlier than you.  I love your sweetness, not yet changed to the difficult stubbornness that comes with the 2nd birthday.  Stay, little one, for as I know only too well, we "shall not pass this way again." 
 And that's hard for a mother's heart to face.


Comments