If You Have Family, You are Rich

People have been asking me how my vacation was.   It's actually a hard question to answer concisely.   We encountered several difficult family situations while on vacation this year.  While it was still the beach (who can really have a bad time at the beach?) it definitely wasn't all fun in the sun.  However, despite everything, one thing shone through to me:  I am so blessed in my family.

My dad is amazing and strong and loving, as always, trying his hardest to do the right thing for his kids.  And he admires my mom with all his heart, and that makes me smile to see it.

My mom is "tough as nails," wise, and ready to show that true charity has a backbone, even in the toughest circumstances. 

My 4 brothers are fun, handsome and tender-hearted.  I am proud to see how they are growing.

My teenage sister is beautiful, brave, clear-headed and strong beyond her years.

My closest sister and former "roommate"  is one of the people I admire most in the world, one I love talking to and one who blesses me always with her vibrancy and her wisdom.

My other two sisters are so beautiful, sensible and confident.  I always feel so privileged to spend time with them and am so lucky to have the rest of our lives to be sisters. :)

My dad and the boys watched the movie, The Fighter, the last night at the beach.  The next morning my dad and I had a conversation about the incredible, undeniable power that family has -- for good or evil -- over the life of its members.  I've been thinking of this truth ever since.  I found several quotes about family that ring so true for me.

What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life - to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories.  ~George Eliot 



Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.  ~Anthony Brandt


When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses.  ~Joyce Brothers

An ounce of blood is worth more than a pound of friendship.  ~Spanish Proverb


And this last quote is a new favorite :)



The family - that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape, nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to.  ~Dodie Smith

***********************
Oh, and I also found out last week that my soon-to-be brother in law's (who I still have yet to meet) favorite band is Pearl Jam, favorite pastime is fishing, and favorite movie is Star Wars.  Plus, he loves my sister in her scrubs.  How cool is that? :)   
It will be exciting to welcome him to our family very soon! 

Comments