My Fashionista, Part II

Turtle has always been particular about her outfits.. Ever since she could indicate what she wanted to wear she has been selecting her wardrobe with great care.  This summer I am watching her pickyness opinions develop as she becomes even more aware of this area of attire.


She consistently notices and compliments adult women on their clothes.

She wistfully "loooves" some of my clothes and comments that she will wear them when she grows up.

She loves to pick out Sunshine's clothes, often wanting them to "be matchy" with her own --e.g. both wearing a buttoned blouse, both polka-dotted, both jean jumpers.

She tries to wheedle Rosebud into this or that outfit of her choosing, saying "Oooh, I LOVE this one, it's SO cute!"

Her favorite dresses and tops are any shoulder and back-baring strappy ones -- and she'll object to wearing the obligatory sweater over them in Church.

The only shoes of mine she will try on are the ones with the highest heels -- and she talks of when she will have some.  Oh, and wear make-up and nail polish.

Many days her toilette includes putting on jewelry -- lots of it.

I bought her 3 different pairs of flip-flops before she was satisfied and that 3rd pair only barely made the cut.

At the changing of the seasons she starts to ask me frequently when the bi-yearly local consignment sale is "where you will get me new clothes!"

She weekly informs me of her desire to fit into another coveted dress or outfit that belongs to a sister, or points out that so-an-so has more/better clothes than her.

My Turtle knows what she wants.  But I struggle to balance tolerance for her fashion sense and opportunities for her to choose her clothes with practicality, budgeting, and child-appropriateness.  (And then there's the little motherly worry that clothes and image will turn out to be too important to her.)

Some days its exasperating as I try to explain why I can't buy that article of clothing that she sees and wants, or deal with a meltdown over flip-flops, or nail polish, or "I don't have ALOT of dresses!"

I recall my Mom smiling and noticing: "My, isn't she picky with a passion!" back when Turtle was as little as a month old.

She sure is!

I do like that passion in her.  I love how she isn't swayed by the opinions or wheedling of others.  I love seeing her emerge from her room adorned from head to toe, "all pretty." 
I love my Turtle who knows her mind, even when she tells me she needs more clothes. :)

Comments

Lucy said…
Oh bless her. My daughter is very similar. But she just picked out her kit for sports club - boys shorts and top all in dark blue!