Seven Quick Takes, vol 14

#1. 
 Happy Feast of the Annunciation!  I always love kneeling at Mass during the Creed on this Feast.  Thank you Mary! Thank you Jesus, for coming down from heaven for us!   
In my home their have been various debates/text messages/discussions about the burning question of eating meat or not today.   Not that I have a need to eat some bacon today, but . . . well, you know.  Anyway, ultimately, I liked this simple post that says "Mary said yes! Jesus is worth celebrating!"   So have a happy feast!

#2.  
Turtle's birthday party was a success -- even the cake, which is not my strong area.  I didn't turn the cake into a pile of crumbs and I didn't forget any ingredients (like, ahem, I did for Rosebud's birthday).

 The birthday girl helped make her own party hat.

 Turtle also sliced the strawberries and decorated the cake with Rosebud.
The girls' two little Strawberry Shortcake dolls decorated the very top, as planned and executed by Turtle.
She's so happy to be 5! :)


#3.
One of Turtle's birthday presents is a trip to a hockey game with Daddy.  She is very excited, as is Daddy.  I've been warning him that he might need to say a few prayers that she doesn't get bored/scared/overwhelmed and want to leave before its over.  I hope he isn't being over-confident in how long she'll be able to last at a 3 hour game.  But I'm happy about the Daddy-daughter date! :)

#4.
We're so happy that Spring is officially here. 
However, we're not so happy with the forecasted 40s that are supposed to prevail the next several days.  Just when we were getting into the swing of outdoor days with sidewalk chalk, walks, picnics and park trips. . .

#5.  
A favorite activity of this early spring has been discovering/chasing chickens.

Our neighbors have about 20 free-range chickens in their back yard.  Many of the hens can fly over the fence into our yard.  Sunshine loves the "shi-shens" (one of her first words!) and carefully follows them around trying to touch them.  Rosebud, of course, just terrorizes them.  Turtle is learning all sorts of chicken-caring tidbits from the neighbor girl.  Unfortunately, we've heard the chickens are being sold, so we won't have such fun entertainment much longer.

#6.
I'm not a habitual coffee drinker, but my parents-in-law gave us a pound of really yummy coffee from the Dominican Republic.  Never mind that we don't own a coffee pot -- I've figured out this way to brew myself a cup involving a paper towel filter, a sieve and a kettle of boiling water.   I could get used to this. :)

#7.
Speaking of hot drinks, this Yogi tea is the most amazing, delicious, comfort to a sore throat/laryngitis.   Best home remedy ever.
And can I just mention as a side note?  I cannot decide whether having difficulty speaking and being heard is a good thing or a bad thing?  Kids who don't hear, don't listen, but also sometimes whispering  is more effective than yelling. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Enjoy your bacon!