Confessions of a Catholic Mommy

Talking about saints with little children is challenging. 
Maybe its just girls . . . maybe its just my children . . . maybe its actually just Turtle?
I know I'm supposed to do it -- good Catholic children know their saints, right?
I really tried this year on All Saints Day to talk about what the day meant, how it was ALL-the-special- friends-of-Jesus-who-are-up-in-Heaven's feast day.
And we looked at this Picture Book of Saints
and it raised many very . . . um . . .interesting questions.

 St. Sebastian: 
Turtle: "Why is he tied?  Why are those [pointing to arrows] sticking in him?  Why did the bad guys do it?  Did it hurt him?  Alot?  Did he cry?  How does he get off of there [pointing to the tree]?" 
(And then, after a while of staring at the picture:  "I'm going to hug him.")

St. Stephen:
Rosebud:  "That's Uncle Steve???  Why does he have blood??"

St. Thomas Aquinas:
"Why is there a sun on his head?"

St. John:
"What is that eagle doing on his back?"

St. Angela Merci (who is embracing a weeping woman):
"Why is that lady crying?"

St. Lucy:
"Why are those eyes right there?"

St. Barbara:
"What are those?"  [pointing to the shackles on her hands]

St. Francis:
"Why are there boo-boos on his hands?"

St. Mary Magdalene and St. Jerome:
"Why do they have bones? [skulls]  Whose are they?  Are they scared of them?  But we don't have scary, yucky things like that at Halloween!  Are bones yucky?"

*Sigh*

I got very fond of Dominic Savio, St. Therese, St. Agnes and all the pleasant pictures that did not produce difficult questions.  I tried hard to give careful, considered answers to the questions that are, ultimately, of such great significance . . . but I really must complain here, why do all the saint stories need to be heavily censored before being told to children?? 

Comments

Heather said…
I am laughing quite hard right now. All this begs the question, does the author/illustrator of this book actually have young children? :)
one muse more said…
I sure hope Father Lovasik didn't. O:)
Little Things said…
LOL! I have taken to avoiding the topics of the saints...at least for now. So far, St. Therese, St. Clare and the Apostles (minus their death stories) are about all we stick too. We stumbled upon St. Joan of Arc, and after that, I have to do some serious pondering everytime Rose Marie wants to know about particular saints. Maybe in a year or two, we will be able to delve deeper. :)
Thank God it's not just me avoiding all the hard things to explain about our faith! I get asked daily about death (by Jax). I feel bad not instructing them in their faith (the good old Catholic guilt ;) as I am *sure* every other good Catholic Mommy does, but I know the limits of my ability to explain R rated stories to a preschool crowd ;)