On the Picking of Flowers
One of the many frustrations I have with living where we do is my inability to allowing my children to pick flowers. Everywhere we walk, almost every flower that we see "belongs" to someone's yard, or some state park's grounds, or some other "no picking" zone. The girls ooh and ahh over lovely spring flowers and I am looking over my shoulder hoping an annoyed neighbor or a park attendant doesn't see us just at the moment my girls are uncontrollably grasping and pulling.
Some days, coming home from walks where I have chastised and explained, trying to save the daffodils or crocuses or hyacinths (or "bleeding hearts" or hydrangea or bluebells) on private or public grounds, I am hit by one of the reasons that I really miss home.
I miss our acre full of violets and dandelions, buttercups and Queen Anne's Lace. I miss the lush, full bushes of lilacs. I miss the honeysuckle and the wild roses.
I miss the uncultivated and unhampered outdoors, the wealth of freedom that living in the country would offer my children I wish that they could daily experience and enjoy the outdoors, and the flowers, the way I am sure that God meant for them to be enjoyed -- through the full, sensorial, grasping delight that little hands do best.
I want them to be able to pick the flowers.
Comments
We love dandelions and the kiddos can't understand why people would not like them.
Do you live close to any farm land, or country that you could take a drive to and pick flowers? (dandelions)