Remembering
Two years ago yesterday I lost my Grammy.
Rosebud was the same age as Sunshine is now. Grammy had never met her, though she had sent a beautiful white dress with pink rosebuds on it for her to wear. I am told that she kept repeating Rosebud's name over and over again, that she thought it was a beautiful one. She didn't really know Turtle either. It had been 15 mos since she had seen us when Turtle had been 8 mos. old. That Grammy never really knew her great-granddaughters is something I will regret for the rest of my life.
I remember sadly lifting Rosebud up -- sleeping soundly-- to see Grammy laying in her coffin in the dress she wore to my wedding. I said to her: "Here's your Great-Grammy, love. She loved you very much, even though you didn't know her." Then I looked at Turtle, prancing happily around the funeral home and whispering that Great-Grammy was "sleeping" and sorrowed for her too. My daughters' lives will never be enriched by knowing the sweetness that was Grammy. But she will be watching and praying for her great-granddaughters nevertheless and hopefully will see them in Heaven someday.
So, I'm thinking of you this weekend, Grammy. When they sang "On Eagle's Wings" at Mass today just like at your funeral, I cried. I miss you and I love you.
Rosebud was the same age as Sunshine is now. Grammy had never met her, though she had sent a beautiful white dress with pink rosebuds on it for her to wear. I am told that she kept repeating Rosebud's name over and over again, that she thought it was a beautiful one. She didn't really know Turtle either. It had been 15 mos since she had seen us when Turtle had been 8 mos. old. That Grammy never really knew her great-granddaughters is something I will regret for the rest of my life.
I remember sadly lifting Rosebud up -- sleeping soundly-- to see Grammy laying in her coffin in the dress she wore to my wedding. I said to her: "Here's your Great-Grammy, love. She loved you very much, even though you didn't know her." Then I looked at Turtle, prancing happily around the funeral home and whispering that Great-Grammy was "sleeping" and sorrowed for her too. My daughters' lives will never be enriched by knowing the sweetness that was Grammy. But she will be watching and praying for her great-granddaughters nevertheless and hopefully will see them in Heaven someday.
So, I'm thinking of you this weekend, Grammy. When they sang "On Eagle's Wings" at Mass today just like at your funeral, I cried. I miss you and I love you.
Comments
I've found the best I can do for my kids is to imitate her. I hope I can give my kids a piece of her by being her to them.
Wishing you much peace.