Facts of Life
Turtle has been asking questions off and on about this baby, about umbilical cords and being naked inside mommy, what the baby is eating or liking to eat in there, about when Turtle and Rosebud were in "mommy's tummy" too. She likes to feel the baby move and talk about nursing and what babies wear.
Several times she has asked me how the baby will come out. The first time I was rather at a loss, saying something like "Ummmmm . . ." Subsequent times I have done what my sister-in-law recommended and asked her right back, "How IS the baby going to come out, Turtle?" She seems to have the general idea that the doctor will "crack open" my stomach and get the baby out. (I hope not! :) And then I just say, "Is that right? Ohh!" or something similar.
Yesterday she was explaining to me where Daddy lived when he was a little boy (his first home in this state is not far from us) and that when Mommy was a girl, she lived at Nana and Pop-Pop's house "with Turtle and Rosebud."
I said: "Actually Turtle and Rosebud were not there. You were not born yet."
She stared at me. "Where were us?"
"You were with Jesus, waiting to be born."
"Oh."
Then she said casually, "You went to Jesus' house, got the baby and laid her on the couch, then you went to the doctor and they put us in your tummy!"
Well, I'm glad we have the "how the baby got in there" question figured out now. :)
Several times she has asked me how the baby will come out. The first time I was rather at a loss, saying something like "Ummmmm . . ." Subsequent times I have done what my sister-in-law recommended and asked her right back, "How IS the baby going to come out, Turtle?" She seems to have the general idea that the doctor will "crack open" my stomach and get the baby out. (I hope not! :) And then I just say, "Is that right? Ohh!" or something similar.
Yesterday she was explaining to me where Daddy lived when he was a little boy (his first home in this state is not far from us) and that when Mommy was a girl, she lived at Nana and Pop-Pop's house "with Turtle and Rosebud."
I said: "Actually Turtle and Rosebud were not there. You were not born yet."
She stared at me. "Where were us?"
"You were with Jesus, waiting to be born."
"Oh."
Then she said casually, "You went to Jesus' house, got the baby and laid her on the couch, then you went to the doctor and they put us in your tummy!"
Well, I'm glad we have the "how the baby got in there" question figured out now. :)
Comments