Seven Quick Takes, vol 4

#1.
I had a baby appointment this week -- which I rather enjoy when I don't have to bring my kids. My sister-in-law kindly watched the girls for me -- which meant she had seven kids 4 and under on her hands for over two hours! She's amazing.
Anyway, the baby is already head down like a good baby should be. :) I had my glucose blood test while I was there and I was so excited that the midwives let me drink 50g worth of glucose from regular orange juice, not that nasty artificially-flavored "grape" or "orange" soda I've had to gag down with the two other pregnancies.
I scheduled all my other appointments up through 41 weeks and it was kind of surreal to think how soon that time will be here!
#2.
Every fall since we've had Turtle we've taken a family trip to a beautiful historical area about 1+ hrs from us. We haven't gone yet this year because the weekends have been rainy. And now this weekend's weather is looking bad too. Rain is possible both days. :( The only nice weekend day in all of October (excluding the first weekend that we were travelling home from the beach) was last Sunday. I can't believe we didn't go then! My husband for some reason was really against it. I shouldn't have let him talk me out of it, darn it. I am so sad because I have been looking forward to our outing all month.
#3.
We are almost done watching the last season of Prison Break. I'm sad that it's almost over. It is by far my favorite show on TV in recent years. We always end up making fun of all the other ones -- even though we watch them. :) But there's nothing we make fun of in Prison Break. The acting, the plot, the dialogue, the development of the characters . . . all are so good. I'd love to write an analysis of its themes of mercy, forgiveness, redemption and second chances . . .
#4.
I heard a radio spot the other day of a pediatrician advocating the H1N1 flu shot. At the end of the spot she said something like, please get your flu shots this year, both for the seasonal and the swine flu, then she said, definitively: "It's safe and it works."
I didn't know whether to laugh or be irritated. Excuse me? Any person who does a tiny bit of research will know that no healthcare provider or official as any business making such unsubstantiated claims. The swine flu vaccine in particular has neither been proven to work, nor has it been proven safe. Its possible that in the future the shot may be proven to be both of those things (safe and effective) but in the interest of an informed public and full disclosure, healthcare authorities should not be making such unequivocal claims. It's dishonest.
#5.
My girls are getting indoctrinated early into hockey mania. My husband has been teaching them this "Hockey Song." They love it -- I think we listened to it 15 times last night. Even Rosebud now chirps "oh, hockey game, oh, hockey game."
They love to listen to our teams' games on the radio, or watch (illegally) live-streamed video of the game and cheer (by name!) for Daddy's favorite players. Turtle always asks, "What color do we want, Daddy?" and upon being told then will promptly yell "Go White!" Rosebud yells "Yay! Yay!" and then "Score!" They even will sit on the couch and intently "read" Daddy's hockey magazines, which they call "hockey games" for some reason. It's so cute.
#6.
Turtle's very excited about Halloween tomorrow and trick or treating. (I'm not sure what I think about this . . . .! How does she even remember?) She's going to be a ballerina -- what she requested -- and Rosebud is going to be a duck. I had plans for sewing a cow hood to go with this ridiculous cow-spotted furry coat that someone gave us, but I never got around to it (because of #6 here and the necessity of avoiding stores that have Halloween accessories).
#7.
If you could, would you say a little prayer for us? The girls have whooping cough -- this is the third week of it -- and nothing we've tried is helping them. They are fine in between coughing spells (which are on average about an hour apart), but its heart wrenching when they do come. Turtle is alot worse than Rosebud. She has a hard time sleeping and is bursting blood vessels in one of her eyes because she is coughing SO hard.
Thank you!
Visit Conversion Diary for other Quick Takes.
Comments
(*Sorry, I used your name in the previous post and caught it only after I posted*)