New Work on Our Shelves

Semi-new, anyway. :) I never do get around to posting these soon after I put them out.

Bead Threading

Rosebud threads the pony beads onto the pipe cleaner. (I hot-glued one bead to the end of the pipe cleaner to stop the other beads from sliding off.)

The idea for this work is one I stole from a toddler Montessori directress I used to work with. It is perfect preparation for lacing works. Rosebud is challenged by the small beads -- enough so that she has to really concentrate to succeed (not a strong point with her :), yet lacing with a string is still too hard for her to do on her own.


This is my favorite work. :)

Magnetic/Non-MagneticThe child sorts the items into two categories ("magnetic" and "non-magnetic") using the magnet to determine which one. I made the magnetic "fishing pole" from a popsicle stick and a broken fridge magnet and then collected fourteen items, seven for each of the two categories. The Magnetic column has (top to bottom) a chain, a key chain tape measure, a paper clip, a nut and bolt set, a safety pin, a ring and the metal lid to a juice concentrate can. The Non-Magnetic column has a wooden heart, a shell, a rubber band, a button, a wooden bead, a mini clay pot, and a rock.Unfortunately, I have to admit that I think I introduced this too early for Rosebud to be ready for it and too late for Turtle to be interested/challenged. Neither one seems to be particularly into it, which is such a shame, because I think this is such a cool work! Sometimes the trick to putting out work is knowing what will be challenging and intriguing to them at just the right stage of development. That's a hard part for me. I might end up putting this away till Rosebud is a little older.

Here are a few others that are simple, "care of the environment" works.

Dusting

I bought the little child size duster here, for $3.95. (Many times a dusting work in the classroom will also have a small brush with the work for dusting small crevices.) I just have the duster and then a small cloth --which I cut from one of my husband's old polo shirts, so I didn't even need to hem it -- for polishing up the surface after the duster has gone over it. Turtle really liked this work when I presented it the other day and we got a bunch of dusting done together.


Clean Up

This is the "clean up bucket." Rosebud uses it very frequently for cleaning up spilled water. She wipes with the sponge, squeezes the sponge into the bucket (repeating if necessary) and then dries with the cloth and dumps the water from the bucket into the sink. . . . At least, that is the idea. Her goal is not always to actually get the water cleaned up. . .

Comments