Seven Quick Takes, vol 2

#1.
About a month ago we got the girls a sandbox off of Craigslist. I am not a fan of cleaning sand out of every crevice of their bodies (and even worse, hair) several times a week, but I am a fan of how much they love it! Their activity of choice is making "cakes" with sticks for candles and then singing to me, or Turtle or Rosebud "Happy Birthday to You"
#2.
Because of general sand annoyance factor, a friend suggested having a "bean box" instead -- because, as she hit the nail on the head saying: "beans fall off of you when you stand up!" :) I am still toying with the idea, but this:

aka the remnants of a fun day with pinto beans -- is making me have second thoughts. We have several little patches of random beans around our back yard. Seriously, though, what beans that have been in a pantry for 2+ years have the wherewithal to actually sprout? The girls are kind of attached to them, thrilled that their beans made plants grow. :)
#3.
Have I mentioned recently how exhausting Rosebud is these days? (Actually, both my children are in an exhausting stage right now -- Rosebud physically, and Turtle emotionally and mentally, but that's another story)
Rosebud's water obsession is lasting and lasting and I literally have to wipe up about 10 substantial spills of water per day. The spigot of the drinking water container is at her reach now so most of her day is spent filling herself cups of water, teapots of water, bowls of water and then pouring them into other cups or buckets or actually usually just straight onto herself, and the floor -- just cuz its super fun. Then, when I have brought out all my towels and made her wipe and changed her clothes and pushed the water spigot back where she can't get it (where it never manages to stay, because, after all, people need to get a drink) then her next activity is climbing up into the sink in the laundry room and washing her hands filling bowls, washing her feet, washing her hair or her tummy or something and water is cascading everywhere again.
Then, if I succeed in distracting her for a period of time, inevitably the favorite choice of work will be returned to much sooner than I think is necessary and the cycle will start all over again.
Then as a result of all the random water ingesting that is simultaneously going on, of course water must come out of her little body on the other end not long after, in copious amounts, at multiple times.
I've been letting it go and trying to just let her be interested in water but, right about now, I'm tired.

#4.
But isn't she cute though?
I set up a craft foam gluing activity for Turtle, Rosebud and their cousin yesterday. She was the most focused and entranced of the group and worked and worked most particularly on getting glue onto her brush and then onto the paper. I could have just eaten her up she was so cute. :)


#5.
This is my friend in USA Today -- isn't that cool? :)
(Man, I want a home birth!)
#6.
I want to know why Halloween has to be so scary? I took my girls to Michael's this week to get some craft supplies and their was a huge 7 ft ghoul with glowing eyes that I may have been able to get the girls away from before they registered the fact that he was scary, but then he intoned at us "DON'T COME IN!" and that was it.
I think Turtle is scarred for life.
She hasn't stopped talking about it since.
We talk about the "scary man from Halloween" that said "don't come in" and how we don't like him, and did Rosebud like him, did she?? and how he was next to the kitty and the blinking pumpkin and how we won't go back to that store, how the "ladies and mans at the store" will take him down after Halloween is over, (but then are they going to put him back UP????) how Turtle doesn't like Halloween, how the library book with the picture of trick-or-treaters in it is scary now too and needs to get returned to the library now and on and ON and ON.
It's making me want to scream.
My child is so obsessive about things.
#7.
I am so proud of my little amateur couponing self. I bought a pint of Starbucks Carmel Macchiato ice cream with a doubled coupon for only $1.19 the other week -- and it's normally about $4.50. It's the dreamiest yummiest ice cream ever and I am not an ice cream person, especially when I'm pregnant. But this is heaven and I am slowly savoring every last horribly fattening bite.

Hmm, I think I know what I'm going to go snack on now . . . :)
Happy Friday!
Visit Conversion Diary for more 7 Quick Takes.
(And Jen's Quick Takes today are -- dare I admit it? -- really funny, in a horrifying kind of way. If you are brave, go read it. :) And please don't blame me for laughing at it?)

Comments

one muse more said…
I loved reading your newsy post. Then I clicked on the bottom link. I died inside until I got to number 6 of your link's post, and then I completely lost it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who simultaneously winces and then starts to puke when those things are staring at defenseless little me on the road. O:)
M.E.S. said…
#6 Cracked me up because we're dealing with similar issues at our house. Thank goodness C. seems to LIKE the scary aspects of Halloween! We went to a Halloween store the other day because it was the ONLY store in town other than WalMart that sells purple fairy wings, and the place was loaded with all kinds of scary stuff - and I mean scary. I was a little overwhelmed at the Freddy Kreuger and blood and vampires and skeletons and ghouls. I did my best to steer C. away from the really frightening things. The two things she won't quit talking about: the giant lawn scaredy cat and the talking trick or treat bowl with the moving green hand in it. She talks about the man in the bowl. LOL