A Pick-me-up Post

These past months being a mommy hasn't been so easy. . . or so fun . . . I somedays find myself starting to get an "I'm an inadequate mother" complex . . . like on Monday this week. Monday was, to put it nicely, mind you, a day I wanted to leave my children and run away to Anywhere But Here. I'm sure that all mothers have those days, but I seem to have had them more than usual recently. . .

So, I'm writing this post as a little pick-me-up. :) We do have fun times around here some days!
I frequently used to get a bin of pinto beans out for Turtle when she was littler, but it has been a REALLY long time since she's seen it and Rosebud never has. So this week I made up some bins for the girls to work with outside in the beautiful weather.

Last week, when the girls didn't want to take a bath, we made these sailboats from the Chasing Cheerios blog.
I did them a little differently by cutting a normal-sized sponge into three pieces and using toothpicks instead of straws for the masts. The girls were thrilled and excited about taking a bath with their boats for about a half hour, but somehow they still didn't want to play all morning long in the bath with them. So much for that plan. I thought it was cool, anyways. :)
A few weeks ago I got Turtle a watercolor set and she has been painting to her heart's content any time she chooses. Poor Rosebud pleads "Paiiint? Paiint?" but will have to wait a little longer for her own set. Maybe I'll get up the nerve to let her do fingerpainting someday soon.

But I think the one thing that may have, at least in my children's minds, earned me the "best mommy in the world" title is the homemade berry juice popsicles that we made. The girls practically wake up in the morning and go to bed at night talking about them.



I love how it really is the simplest little things that make them happy. What a shame that we are not more like that . . .

Comments

Lucy said…
Mothering is HARD! But I often think we are far, far, far more critical of ourselves than our children and make it harder with our expectations. Every time I read your blog you seem like a wonderful mama - and I know a blog is glimpse through a window, not daily reality and we all have days which we would not want to blog about, but over all, where there is love there are happy children who will have wonderful memories of their amazing mommy. God bless you. I will say a prayer for you. I'm being a bad mama, online when I should be doing family prayers, so that prayer will be coming up right about ...now!
Heather said…
You are a good mommy, dearie!!
Elizabeth said…
You are a lovely mommy! I like the beans idea! :)
M. T. said…
Thank you!

Heather inspired me on the beans idea. ;)