Simple Woman's Daybook



http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

FOR TODAY: August 31, 2009

Outside My Window . . .
a cool breeze blowing the leaves -- its supposed to be a lovely week!

I am thinking . . .
about everything I have to do this week!

I am thankful for . . .
a clean kitchen this morning and that the third load of laundry for the day is already washing.

From the kitchen . . .
sliced peppered turkey breast, feta cheese, and cranberries on a salad for dinner tonight. I have ambitions of making an apple cobbler too with the apples from my parent's farm . . . but we'll see about that . . .

I am wearing . . .
a jean skirt, a dark pink shirt, a white sweater, sandals

I am creating . . .
a baby -- 21 weeks old tomorrow. :)
I'm also trying to put together a new work for Turtle about shapes -- I've had it in my mind to do for SO long so we'll see if I can get it finished this week.

I am going . . .
to plan a two-week menu this afternoon.

I am reading . . .
I started Kristin Lavransdatter again last night. I haven't read it since college and think it would be interesting to see how my perspective or understanding of it has changed since I am now a wife and mother.

My main remembrance of my previous reading of it was how saddened I was by seeing the effect of her sin permeating her whole life. Even with confession and forgiveness the natural consequences of a sin don't just go away. It was such a powerful picture of the deep and almost irreparable wounding of a relationship that is started in a sinful way, even though it is all "made right" at some point. It reminds me of that quote "God forgives, Man sometimes, Nature never."

I had an email conversation about the book with a friend of mine and she said something that struck me and made me want to re-read the book: "One of the things that I've been pondering is . . . Kristin's realization that her Heavenly Father never refused her anything, and her sadness and regret that she constantly asked Him for things other than what He gave her, never accepting what He gave her as part of a better plan for her. She said that she constantly sought to bend His will to her own."

I am hoping . . .
to be able to think of a great birthday present for my dad. I'm so bad at thinking of anything for gifts. :(


I am hearing . . .
Preschool Power!

Around the house . . .
laundry day, menu planning day, and what needs to be cleaning day . . . why is my house always so neglected after the weekend?


One of my favorite things . . .
how Rosebud says "Hi Mommy, Hi Mommy!" to me periodically throughout the day.


A Few Plans for the Rest of the Week:
a trip to the grocery store, hopefully a day at the pool this last week before it closes, and then this weekend we are travelling to a big family Boston Red Sox-themed 50th birthday party for my dad.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing . . .

I got this old Mancala game from a thrift store for $1.50 and the girls have been loving it -- sorting colors and filling the compartments. I like Mancala stones better than marbles -- they don't roll everywhere!

Comments

Your girls are such sweethearts! :) How are you feeling these days? Have your headaches disappeared? These first fall days make me wish we could greet them together in person with stews and pies and walks in the crunchy leaves with our little ones!
M. T. said…
Thank you! I am feeling better -- just weekly headaches now. :) I do wish we were together too -- wouldn't it be such fun!? *Sigh*