More Books We Like


I thought I would do this promised follow-up post to one on children's books I did back in May. :) Books for kids have been on my mind recently thanks to a fun Usborne book party I went to last night :) and the fact that all my girls want to do these days is read books -- especially Rosebud.

So, here's some more books that we like. Most of these are more on Turtle's level, but Rosebud will read ANYTHING, so there are some she likes too.


Freight Train, by Donald Crews
Both my girls are crazy about this book, but then, they are crazy about anything having to do with trains. :)




Roadwork, by Sally Sutton
This is Rosebud's favorite these days! We read it AT LEAST five times a day. I think I have memorized it and Turtle almost has too. You need to read it with all the great sound-effects. :)



Wake Up, Farm! by Alvin Tresselt

There is a counterpart to this book as well, called Wake Up, City!




Hello, Goodbye, by Arlene Alda
A book about opposites


The Alfie series, by Shirley Hughes


Owl Moon, by Jane Yolen
I love this book -- there is something magic about it. Turtle tells me that when the snow comes we will go out in the woods and look for the owls just like this little girl and her father. And it makes me sad that we won't be able to.


Friends, by Kim Lewis

This is just one of many of Kim Lewis' beautifully illustrated books about animals and children and farms. We like them all.


Happy Birth Day! by Robie Harris
I would like to be able to give Turtle this book for Christmas, along with another by Robie Harris called Hello, New Baby. They are lovely and so gentle and natural in talking about birth. We haven't checked them out of the library in a while, and so I am "saving" them for later, closer to our baby's arrival.


Night Train, by Caroline Stutson
Once again, my kids LOVE trains. :)



A Boy, A Dog and A Frog series by Mercer Mayer
I loved this wordless series when I was growing up!

Sunflower House, by Eve Bunting
This book makes me wish we could plant a sunflower house! Maybe someday.








Comments

Anonymous said…
I enjoy reading the freight train book to Augustine. Like many of the books I read to him, I either sing the words or do something dramatic with the book's text. For the freight train book I read it like a jazzy, beatnik poem, and I get a little creative, e.g. "black tender, black steam engine, black conductor, driving his soul train..."

Having children is fun!

-Dmw
M. T. said…
Awesome! I need to try this -- as is its getting mighty boring (for me, that is, not them :)