Some Work

I recently made a new work for Turtle about Animal Habitats. This was a bit challenging for her at first, but now she knows to take advantage of the "self-correcting" aspect of Montessori works to get it right. :) I think that it will be a good work to make more challenging down the road with more pictures of habitats, different and more animals to match to them, etc.I started with four environments (l to r, top to bottom): the Forest, the Jungle, the Arctic and the African Savana. I have two more in the closet to bring out later -- the Farm and the Coral Reef/Ocean. Four animals correspond to each. Deer, Squirrel, Black Bear and Fox for the Forest. Tiger, Monkey, Leopard and Panda Bear for the Jungle (I think that's kind of a stretch, but I had to work with the animals that I had!). Beluga whale, Killer whale, Polar Bear and Sea Lion for the Arctic. Giraffe, Lion, Lizard and Elephant for the Savana.This is how she can check her work when finished. The environment pictures are laminated, but a just taped a printed out photo of the correct animals onto the back. This way the "self-correction" it is removable, if I want to change out the animals or add more to make it harder.

Here is another work I made for Turtle before our car trip to the beach. This is the "Car Work" -- for lack of a better name. :) I bought a pack of these tiny clothespins from the dollar section at Target and cut out a cardboard square and colored the edges to match the clothespins.



We keep this in a plastic bag in the car. Rosebud is very interested in this work and is still trying to figure out how to open the clothespins and clip them on the cardboard at the same time. She can't color match really yet, but in the next four months or so this will be a good work for her as well.
*******************
The following is Rosebud's absolutely favorite work of all time, though it has been very easy for her for some time. It's the Marbles in a Glass Bottle work. :) The marbles make such a delightful "ding" as they fall into the bottle. This was one of Turtle's favorites too. This work disappeared for a long while during the time that Rosebud was in the Eat Everything stage. We've been out of that stage for a few months, but I still try to supervise when this work is being done. Also, occasionally, the bottle has been broken. So, this work is a bit of a hazard, I suppose, but of course, using breakable objects with young children is a Montessori trademark. :) I put it away for a while when I get tired of always keeping and ear/eye out for breaking glass. :)




Comments

Heather said…
Thanks for posting a pic of the clothespin work - I'm totally doing that one for the long car trip this weekend.
one muse more said…
These are adorable! I giggled when I thought for a second that the Izze bottle was a beer bottle . . .:)