Happy Father's Day, Dad

Four years ago, Father's Day was the day after my wedding.
I remember calling you from the airport before our flight to Colorado to say I loved you. You didn't expect it and that made me happy that I had called. The day before, my wedding day, hadn't just been a day about my new husband and I, it had been a day also about you and I. A father and a daughter.
I remember turning to you before we walked down the aisle, to say something, anything, to try and express what this moment meant to me. But I couldn't get the words out, and you, you smiled and shook your head. Tears were too close to the surface for both of us.
I remember the toast you gave, your voice so clear and manly, only wavering a little, especially as you spoke of your hero, our Papa, John Paul II, then only two months gone, and what he had taught you and shown you about love.
I remember our dance, to Frank Sinatra's The Way You Look Tonight. It was sweet and loving and fun. You were such a smooth dancer, even with your bum knee. :)
I knew you loved me on that day, with your warm, silent Daddy love. And I knew you were proud of me. And I know that you love me and are proud of me that way every day, whether I see it or not, because you are my Daddy, and that's the way you are.
And I love you. More than I can say.
I am proud to be your daughter, to be loved by a Father like you.
Happy Father's Day, Dad.
XOXO
--Me

Comments

emptee A said…
You're wedding pictures are so spectacular. I love the ones you have shared.