Book List

A friend of mine was asking me recently about what books I chose for my girls when at the library. The truth is, I am growing to hate going to library with the girls. I spend the whole time sifting fruitlessly through shelves and shelves of absolute drivel and idiocy while all my girls want to do is whine to play computer games on the rows of low computers in the children's section. Then I go home annoyed at my inability to get decent literature for my children and the library's inability to get the whole "Library = BOOKS" thing and thus finds the need to draw children AWAY from the books to play Elmo games on a computer. No wonder we have a education crisis in this country.
Sorry. Rant over. :)
Anyway, I thought I would post a list of good --and reality-based of course, since I'm "Montessori" and we don't read fantasy yet (see this post for details) -- children's books that I have found over the last two or so years.
This first post has books that are more in the 15-24 mos age range, Rosebud likes most of them more than Turtle does, but of course, like good books should, they do appeal to a wider audience. In fact, I like them myself. :)
Hopefully before I leave in a week I can do another post with some of the books for Turtle's age.
Hope this is helpful!





Sleep Tight, by B. G. Hennessy




Ten Seeds, by Ruth Brown

Wake Up, Me! by Marni McGee


The Little Farm, by Lois Lenski







Dad's Back, by Jan Ormerod


Mothers are Like That, by Carol Carrick

Comments

Heather said…
Nice! Thanks for the suggestions! I have gotten some of these, actually. Now I know some more authors to look for. It's about time for another trip since I think I've renewed our current stock as many times as I can.....nope, I'm not procrastinating......:)
Little Things said…
Very timely post! I am headed to the Library tomorrow morning to return all of ours, so now I will be on the lookout for a few of these. The Tom and Pippo books are ALWAYS favorites in this house :) I can't wait to see if Sam will like them as he gets older. Right now he sits with us as we read The Big Red Barn...the copy you gave to Rose Marie. :)
Oh! Love this post! Although we do have some "fantasy" books around, Jax is totally into books with labled parts and diagrams and such, like the Eyewitness vehicle books. I just ordered some other good ones from amazon - The Beetle Alphabet book, A Year at Maple Hill Farm (got through each month and what goes on with the animals in that month), and Bugs by Nancy Winslow Parker. Hoping to order "An Egg is Quiet" and "A Seed is SLeeping" soon too - awesome watercolor picts. Thanks for these other ideas!