Why We Stay at Home

How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe?

How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone?

No.

A woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute.

I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness.

~G.K Chesterton
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Little Things said…
You have no idea how much I needed this today.
emptee A said…
You know I cannot say how torn I am between wanting both worlds. I love being in charge and telling people what to do. I love commanding respect and organizing a huge evolutions. I ,,,,,,,,,,,, cannot tell you how I wish I could be a mom. I have the highest regard for your job. You do the same things except your words and actions have profound impacts on the formation of people. It is so interesting to me to see how that foundation changes and molds the way people respond when they grow up. I continue to have the highest regard for you.
Elizabeth said…
Lovely! Thank you! It's an amazing lovely journey we are on, eh?
Heather said…
I remember reading this recently and being very moved by it. Especially the being "everything to someone" part - what other relationship in your life besides being a mother to a small child can that truly be said of?
Ditto Jess!!! This is exactly what I needed to help me get through my particularly hard day. Thank you!!!