For Laura

because she once asked me to post a picture of my china. :)

Montpellier, by Mikasa
When I was putting china on my wedding registery 4 years ago, I got alot of comments about how unpractical and silly it was to ask people for something you would never use. I also recieved some hints that I was choosing a pattern that was too expensive. (It is bone china and 4 yrs ago it cost $79.99 for a 5 piece place setting -- though it is substantially more now from what I can gather, since the pattern is no longer manufactured.) Though these comments bothered me at the time, I am glad that I categorically ignored them. Because I love fine china. I would collect it if I could.
I love the way it feels so smooth and delicate. I love the way it sounds -- little clinks and chimes of elegance. I love the way it looks -- shiny and perfect. I love the way I feel when I'm using it -- like a lady in a storybook or a Jane Austen movie.
It reminds me of the rare and special tea parties at my Grammy's house when I was young. They were elegant affairs, candlelit, quietly dignified, with lovely ladyfingers and anise cookies to munch on while sipping tea from beautiful old teacups patterned after the different months of the year.
I want a sense of beauty fostered in my children. I want them to feel the reverence and the joy in touching and holding lovely things. I want china in my life. :)
Now, 4 years later, we have probably used our china less than 15 times. Christmas, Easter, Holy Thursday and the rare candlelit birthday dinner. I don't mind. It makes the occasions that we bring out the china so much more important and noteworthy to me.
I hope that as our children grow they will think so too!

Comments

M. T. said…
Thank you! I LOVE it! :) When I was registering at Bed Bath & Beyond most of what they had was so white and plain and modern and I love the delicate flowers and old-fashioned look of this pattern.
Alaina said…
It's a very classic pattern. My mom came from a china-loving family and the birthday girl always got to eat her meals on the fine china on her special day. Now I've inherited my great-grandmother's set and I hope to use it wisely and pass it along some day.
M. T. said…
That's a good idea -- to use it for special birthday girls. :) I love the tradition of china, the care that generation after generation puts into their sets. I wonder who will want to inherit my set . . .:)
Heather said…
I've always loved your china, dearie! Even though I'm a white, plain, modern girl myself. :) LOL. I'm glad I got it too - I think you've managed to use it more than I have though. Oh well, my mom's has only been brought out once - such a shame.