Because I want to remember this

I forget how it began, but one night after prayers, we came to be talking about people's hearts.

Turtle was intrigued, and she listened to Daddy's heart beat and Mommy's heart beat, and we talked about her own inside her chest, how we couldn't see our hearts because they were inside us.

Then, she turned to look with new eyes at the picture of the Sacred Heart above the mantle. "Look," we explained, "you can see Jesus' heart, can't you?"

She looked and looked.

"See the light coming out?"

She nodded and looked.

Then that night and for several nights afterward, when we sang the "Thank You, Lord" song, she would say, right away, all on her own, "Jesus' Heart" or "Jesus' Heart-with-the-Light-Coming-Out" followed by "Daddy's heart and Mommy's heart and Turtle's heart and Rosebud's heart."

Another night at prayer time, she lay uncharacteristically still on Daddy's lap for a long moment and he asked her what she was looking at, and she replied, simply:

"I'm looking at Jesus' Heart."

Comments

Aw! They have such a beautiful way of drawing us, their parents closer to God, don't they? :)