Reflecting
I have been thinking about the old year and the new one these last days -- who hasn't?
There are the following reflection questions on 2008 at http://simplemom.net/new-years-eve-questions/ (H.T. http://epiphanysprings.blogspot.com/) that made me think. I shortened it a little and here are my thoughts on the old year.
Reflection Questions for 2008
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Rosebud.
Yes, she was technically born in 2007, but other than that first hour, she's been our big 2008 happiness. She's a darling and makes me happy every day.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Our move from the country to the city.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Turtle being able to attend the Atrium. This is a constant source of joy to me.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
A deep personal suffering that my parents and other members of my family were given this year. It has been, however, a beautiful thing to see the hand of God amidst all the grief.
5. Pick three words to describe 2008.
Full
Blessed
Testing
6. What were the best books you read this year?
A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini
The Apostolate of Holy Motherhood
Taking Charge: Caring Discipline that Works at Home and at School, by Joann Nordling
7. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My husband, of course. This year has been the hardest on us in our marriage so far, and I think we have come through it knowing each other better and knowing how much constant, attentive and loving work this being married thing requires. :)
8. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
In self-confidence and self-knowledge.
I am the one that knows myself. My instincts about my life, my home, my family and true and right. I will be the woman, wife, mother and friend that I know that I want to be, not who others say or think that I should be.
(This is a major work in progress. But I think big steps have been made in the right direction.)
9. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
Did I?
This is an area of discouragement for me. I can see no growth.
However, I try to trust that God is drawing me ever forward and that my point of view is not the only one. :)
10. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
Hmmm. . . .
Hopefully I've been "shrinking" -- at least the majority of the year! But, all this Christmas feasting has probably made me "grow" though!
11. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
This is hard. This is not my strong point. I "manage" because I have to, not because I enjoy it.
But, I guess I enjoy folding laundry with my girls as helpers!
12. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Food. Buying it. Planning it. Making sure it happens.
I've been known to wish that everyone in my family magically had healthy food fed to them automatically through a feeding tube. I hate being "in charge" of the food.
(see: http://thegreatestgiftsofgod.blogspot.com/2008/09/food-is-my-life.html)
13. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
The internet. Hands down.
14. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Any time spent with the girls, focused, connected, looking in their eyes, in the moment and present to them.
15. What were the biggest things you learned this past year?
There are the following reflection questions on 2008 at http://simplemom.net/new-years-eve-questions/ (H.T. http://epiphanysprings.blogspot.com/) that made me think. I shortened it a little and here are my thoughts on the old year.
Reflection Questions for 2008
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Rosebud.
Yes, she was technically born in 2007, but other than that first hour, she's been our big 2008 happiness. She's a darling and makes me happy every day.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Our move from the country to the city.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Turtle being able to attend the Atrium. This is a constant source of joy to me.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
A deep personal suffering that my parents and other members of my family were given this year. It has been, however, a beautiful thing to see the hand of God amidst all the grief.
5. Pick three words to describe 2008.
Full
Blessed
Testing
6. What were the best books you read this year?
A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini
The Apostolate of Holy Motherhood
Taking Charge: Caring Discipline that Works at Home and at School, by Joann Nordling
7. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My husband, of course. This year has been the hardest on us in our marriage so far, and I think we have come through it knowing each other better and knowing how much constant, attentive and loving work this being married thing requires. :)
8. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
In self-confidence and self-knowledge.
I am the one that knows myself. My instincts about my life, my home, my family and true and right. I will be the woman, wife, mother and friend that I know that I want to be, not who others say or think that I should be.
(This is a major work in progress. But I think big steps have been made in the right direction.)
9. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
Did I?
This is an area of discouragement for me. I can see no growth.
However, I try to trust that God is drawing me ever forward and that my point of view is not the only one. :)
10. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
Hmmm. . . .
Hopefully I've been "shrinking" -- at least the majority of the year! But, all this Christmas feasting has probably made me "grow" though!
11. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
This is hard. This is not my strong point. I "manage" because I have to, not because I enjoy it.
But, I guess I enjoy folding laundry with my girls as helpers!
12. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Food. Buying it. Planning it. Making sure it happens.
I've been known to wish that everyone in my family magically had healthy food fed to them automatically through a feeding tube. I hate being "in charge" of the food.
(see: http://thegreatestgiftsofgod.blogspot.com/2008/09/food-is-my-life.html)
13. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
The internet. Hands down.
14. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Any time spent with the girls, focused, connected, looking in their eyes, in the moment and present to them.
15. What were the biggest things you learned this past year?
- God always has a plan. It's not mine. I may never understand it or even like it. But therein lies my path to holiness.
- Ultimately, no one can be "there" for me or understand me fully but God. And I should never expect anyone to.
- I will hurt my children over and over again, because of how wounded I am myself. But God has promised to heal us, and He will.
- Bad stuff happens to good people. Even the good people in my life that I care the most about. And makes me angry and scared and disillusioned. But there is nothing I can do about it.
- It is okay to feel angry. It is a natural mechanism of self-defense and protection.
- God always brings good out of evil. Even when I am sure He can't. :)
- There's always Joy around the next corner!
I'm sure I'll be "learning" all these lessons over and over and over again for the rest of my life!
16. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2008 for you.
Even when you can't, God can.
Happy New Year!
Comments