Election Day
Stony-gray fall day
Vibrant splashes of color warm me but a little
Prayers breathed, little "glances" toward Heaven
Butterflies in the pit of my stomach as I wait in line
Woman's voice: "the most important election"
Solidarity with strangers
Sober-faced red-shoed toddler beside me
The "Future Voter" sticker she wears that inexplicably makes me sad
The never-failing feeling of pride in our country
Smell of pine needles walking slowly out
Waiting
Orange leaves beneath my brown shoes as I cross the grass to attend Mass
The unexpected quiet and solitude entering the stone church
Lingering tears at the entrance antiphon: "I will look after my sheep says the Lord"
The Gospel from John -- the wolf and the hired hand -- and the tears are renewed
The rest of the day going by, in slow motion, surreal and momentous
And my little, incoherent, tired prayers over and over again -- "Please God, please God, please God . . ."
Lord, I know that you have a plan for us, a plan for our good and not our ill. Bless America today, Lord.
Bless us and forgive us.
Vibrant splashes of color warm me but a little
Prayers breathed, little "glances" toward Heaven
Butterflies in the pit of my stomach as I wait in line
Woman's voice: "the most important election"
Solidarity with strangers
Sober-faced red-shoed toddler beside me
The "Future Voter" sticker she wears that inexplicably makes me sad
The never-failing feeling of pride in our country
Smell of pine needles walking slowly out
Waiting
Orange leaves beneath my brown shoes as I cross the grass to attend Mass
The unexpected quiet and solitude entering the stone church
Lingering tears at the entrance antiphon: "I will look after my sheep says the Lord"
The Gospel from John -- the wolf and the hired hand -- and the tears are renewed
The rest of the day going by, in slow motion, surreal and momentous
And my little, incoherent, tired prayers over and over again -- "Please God, please God, please God . . ."
Lord, I know that you have a plan for us, a plan for our good and not our ill. Bless America today, Lord.
Bless us and forgive us.
Comments