Smelling Work
In a Primary Montessori classroom they have a sensorial work where a child smells different scents in bottles and then matches the scents that are the same. I wanted to make something like this for Turtle. My sister told me, however, that a child under 3, because of their developmental stage of learning should be exposed to the actual object that had a certain smell, not just smell the essential oil on a cotton ball, which is removed from the object itself.
So, this is the work that I came up with.
I got these little latching boxes for $1 each at Michael's.
So, this is the work that I came up with.
I got these little latching boxes for $1 each at Michael's.
This is the first set of smells: Rosemary, Garlic, Cloves and Cinnamon.
The second set (which I switch in and out when the first gets old): Lavender, Lemon, Basil, and Coffee Bean
I don't have her matching smells yet. I think that is probably too hard for her still.
I did find it a bit challenging to come up with things that smell strongly enough. With the Rosemary I added a drop of the Rosemary essential oil to the sprig I had. But essential oils are expensive, and that is the only one I have. The coffee bean and basil leaf I crushed a bit to get to smell, but the lavender and lemon are a little too faint of a smell.
Comments
Seriously though? YOU are the coolest Mommy I know, Laura! What about that wreath, huh?
Turtle does like it. She doesn't like to do it without me, and she does various things like spill/lose the coffee beans, and eat all the garlic :)