"New Work!"

I have finally put together some more Montessori works for Turtle. She asks me for "new work" every so often and I do have a couple that I can pull out at a moment's notice ("rotation of work/toys" is my best friend!). Usually, however it takes me a week or two of thinking/researching what I could put together that we have in the house -- a very key requirement as this Montessori stuff can get expensive! -- a week or two (or three!) of trying to find time to do it. I just tell myself that at least when Rosebud gets to this age I'll already have the components gotten together.

Putting the pennies in the container through the slot Sorting sea shells that I brought home from the beach when we went in May

This is a Loud/Soft sound work. Four little glass jars with oatmeal and barley for the "soft" sounds, and corn and almonds for the "loud" sounds. I screw the lids on good and tight, so no messes can be made. And even Rosebud likes doing this work! :)
When Turtle gets older I will show her how to arrange them in a line of softest to loudest while blindfolded. The little ones in the Atrium where I worked loved to take on that challenge!

Comments

Heather said…
I love the works that you put together - they always look so beautiful, just like they are supposed to! :)
Lucy said…
It's so interesting to see the things you do with your Turtle, as the very thing that makes me think there is no way we could be Montessori is the cost/collecting aspect (a bit like how some women go about nappies, iykwim). Well, that and keeping everything out - I cannot do with visual clutter, as it stresses me out. It all looks so attractive and tempting too!
Mary said…
The level of Montessori "stuff" that a person can do or not do is so adaptable to the type of person one is, what one can handle, or afford. The heart of Montessori is the approach to the child as whole person worthy of respect, with certain qualities that should be fostered, and capable of real participation and contribution to the community of the family and the world, not the kind or quantity or cost of specific works, or "rules" of how to do certain lessons or whatever(as some people see it).
While many could argue that all the Montessori kind of materials, lessons and environment may be the best for facilitating the development and life of the child that Montessori believed all children need, I believe mothers need to take it easy on themselves!
I can't afford all the "works", I can't send my kids to Montessori school or even homeschool them completely that way.
And it comes down to that this is my home and I know it best and I do what seems best to me, adapting what I need to to what works for my family. If its not perfectly "Montessori," oh well! :) I simply try to respect my children's the need for "work" (not play!), faciliate sustained focus, the absence of fantasy and twaddle, the presenting of choices, allowing freedom of movement and assisting with the independance of the child at the youngest age that it is possible.

Gosh, what a long comment! Sorry! :)

And, Mrs. Pea I do know what you mean about the cloth diaper thing. :)