Today

I've been brought up against truths about myself, some that I'd rather not see at all, and some that I really even would rather not change.
And I am left feeling adrift and lost, unsure of who I am and who I should be, unsure of my own opinions and thoughts in the face of a stronger, firmer opinion and thought that seems to bulldoze my own.
I feel that even what I thought I did know and want is somehow dismissed, invalidated and misunderstood.

And me, little me, I am so influenced by others and bearing such a tendency toward being unsure of myself. I can't bear the lurking wondering whether I am wrong after all in what I am trying to do, or going about things all the wrong way even though I thought that way to be so right. Why do I have to argue myself back into holding the position that I still feel in my heart must be right, and is my way?

And I hate it. I hate knowing that in a way I brought this upon myself. I hate feeling shaken and unclear in explaining myself to others and, worse, even to myself. I hate this confused, unsure feeling. I hate wondering what I am doing right or not right. I hate feeling like a teenager again.

And I hate being weak enough to be shaken in myself and reduced to tears in this way.

And when will I be done asking the awful, hard "Who am I again, God?" question?

Comments

emptee A said…
Well I think your example of Catholicism is so beautiful and something to strive for. I personally hold you in the highest regard for what you are doing. So I'm just going to say I love you and you are my bestest friend.
Mary said…
Thank you. Thank you so much.
Mary said…
And actually this "self-crisis" isn't about Catholicism, thank goodness. :)
Little Things said…
Hang in there dear friend! I think it is part of our journey to ask ourselves the questions you are asking about life and what you are doing. I, for one, am in constant state of uncertainty about my mothering abilities. But, I know that the questions I ask, or the ones that get put to me, are so good. It helps me see why I am doing what I do. Don't be afraid of the questioning, let it make you look deeper at yourself and learn to love and be proud of what you find there.
Heather said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said…
I said a prayer for you.
Heather said…
Stick to your guns! Introspection is so healthy - and I really admire your courage in facing up to it!!! - but don't let it make you doubt who you are and what you believe in! And remember that just because others don't agree or wouldn't take the path you have chosen doesn't mean you are on the wrong path! Something that's helped me recently is a verse from 1 Peter where it talks about winning someone "to the Word without a word." Just quiet example. I'm finding it might just apply to a wide range of what is good, true, and beautiful in life. You are always striving to live your life in the Word - please know that that is the best witness to what you know is important, even if it doesn't seem initially the most effective. I don't know if this is at all relevant to what you're struggling with, but I'm putting it out there in case it is. :)