Easter Reality

The pre-marriage Easter, to me, meant
-- candlelight and shadows at the Easter vigil
-- clean souls
-- glorious music
-- joyful silence in the pew after Mass to think and pray
-- the fragrance of lilies in the Church
-- beautiful dresses all day
-- ham and eggs and sweet bread at quiet, small family brunches
--Easter basket hunts, the baskets filled with things like books and new shirts, but not much sweets

The real Easter, to me, now, married with two kids
--no more Easter vigil
-- a soul that's last cleansing was two or three weeks ago and at least it wasn't two or three months. (And did I mention that I had to ask Father to repeat the penance because Rosebud was crying too loud for me to hear it? And did I even say my penance?)
-- still the glorious music!
-- the last pew in the Church, so far back that we can barely hear or see, and we can't smell the lilies
-- fragmented harried prayers of "Please help the baby sleep," "Please, Turtle don't pull Mommy's skirt down" "Please don't let me faint in this heat" "Please help the once-a-year Catholics on every side of me come back again . . . and remember that they can't go to Communion!"
-- dresses only for a few hours, because they'd be ruined if kept on any longer
-- barbeque and baked beans at a loud joyously rowdy family dinner
-- Easter candy hunts with every kind of candy possible

It's still Easter, isn't it though.

Comments

Right there with ya chica :)

Ours was 110% different than all other Easters, but still a good celebration of His Ressurrection.

Makes me keep in mind, how if I want there to be traditions in this family, we have to make them happen ourselves ;) Did I mention we didn't die eggs this year? :)
emptee A said…
I have to say I envy you. I have your yesteryear Easter today (Well plus a work day unfortunately) Sometimes lube oil/dirt/dust/grease residue for 12 hours gets really gross and old.

I cannot wait to have children.