"When's it gonna be over?" and other thoughts
So, I still have 10 weeks left! Why am I already at "when's it gonna end?" point?
I feel very third trimester-ish these days. My ankles are starting to swell the least little bit. My stomach is getting in the way of everything: shaving my legs, doing the dishes, leaning forward, rolling over in bed, holding Turtle, getting a close hug from my husband. I feel very, very heavy. I pant like an old woman when I push the stroller up a hill or carry Turtle for too long. I have to wake up completely to haul myself over in bed. I broke out the extra pillow for my stomach last night. My poor stomach cannot hold much food these days, but is hungry again so soon . . . Ah, well, par for the course it all is.
I feel as though I do not remember all of this late pregnancy discomfort happening this early last time? It's amazing how I feel that my body, my muscles, everything, is protesting more strongly this time at having to stretch and soften all over again. How do women have 8 or 9 or 10 children? A nutritionist I know told me that it takes 3 years for the body to restore/replenish all the organs and muscles that get depleted and stressed during pregnancy. Well, I can see where that could be true right about now! Yet isn't it amazing that a woman's body can do this again and again? That we were made for it?
I am trying to enjoy these last 10 weeks. There is so much that I do love about pregnancy -- most of all, the movement of the baby. I love the intimacy, the presence of another, the warmth of closeness and carrying. I love distinguishing the playing movements, the annoyed movements and the sleepy stretching movements from each other. I love touching with my fingers the little hand (or foot or elbow) that presses a lump out at me. I do miss these movements so much after the birth.
I am blessed that my pregnancies have been so safe and so carefree. The baby is so happy and warm and cared for, and I don't have to worry that I am doing something wrong. As long as I take my vitamins, don't breathe toxic fumes, don't get x-rays, don't drink very much alcohol (just a leetle wine now and again!), my baby's content and well-fed and I don't have to worry.
And the baby will come sooner than I know it. Then real challenge will begin, the raising a child challenge, that is so much more than "gosh, I can't carry this laundry basket down the stairs" challenge!
I feel very third trimester-ish these days. My ankles are starting to swell the least little bit. My stomach is getting in the way of everything: shaving my legs, doing the dishes, leaning forward, rolling over in bed, holding Turtle, getting a close hug from my husband. I feel very, very heavy. I pant like an old woman when I push the stroller up a hill or carry Turtle for too long. I have to wake up completely to haul myself over in bed. I broke out the extra pillow for my stomach last night. My poor stomach cannot hold much food these days, but is hungry again so soon . . . Ah, well, par for the course it all is.
I feel as though I do not remember all of this late pregnancy discomfort happening this early last time? It's amazing how I feel that my body, my muscles, everything, is protesting more strongly this time at having to stretch and soften all over again. How do women have 8 or 9 or 10 children? A nutritionist I know told me that it takes 3 years for the body to restore/replenish all the organs and muscles that get depleted and stressed during pregnancy. Well, I can see where that could be true right about now! Yet isn't it amazing that a woman's body can do this again and again? That we were made for it?
I am trying to enjoy these last 10 weeks. There is so much that I do love about pregnancy -- most of all, the movement of the baby. I love the intimacy, the presence of another, the warmth of closeness and carrying. I love distinguishing the playing movements, the annoyed movements and the sleepy stretching movements from each other. I love touching with my fingers the little hand (or foot or elbow) that presses a lump out at me. I do miss these movements so much after the birth.
I am blessed that my pregnancies have been so safe and so carefree. The baby is so happy and warm and cared for, and I don't have to worry that I am doing something wrong. As long as I take my vitamins, don't breathe toxic fumes, don't get x-rays, don't drink very much alcohol (just a leetle wine now and again!), my baby's content and well-fed and I don't have to worry.
And the baby will come sooner than I know it. Then real challenge will begin, the raising a child challenge, that is so much more than "gosh, I can't carry this laundry basket down the stairs" challenge!
Comments