Remembering

The warm, quiet sunlight and clear air of this feast day makes me miss you, Assisi, and the same golden sunlight that fell on your peaceful streets.

I never used to take much notice of Saint Francis. But now, to me, he is a saint of cobblestones and sunlight, worn wooden beads and candles, fresh-baked bread and purple sunsets, deep quiet and the color of crimson flowers, the honey and rose of stone and the gray-green of olive trees. He is a familiar saint of good memories and of peace. His spirit and his love are embodied forever in this little town in Italy that I miss so much.

Comments

Heather said…
Beautiful memories.....and that is a great photo!
emptee A said…
For so many years I resented his austere and simple way of life............And I am a day late telling Francis Happy Feast Day...Reading your post really made me think how easy it is to just get caught up in the daily grind and not pause and reflect more often. It is so easy to just focus everything on work. I'm trying to balance.
emptee A said…
Yes for me St. Francis (the inspiration of how my parents) is definitely a Saint of hardwood floors, of army green sleeping mats, rice and peas on Fridays, homemade kitchen benches, and giving alms to the Romanian family, Church and many others. But I know you understand...you've seen our houses over the years. I used to get so embarrassed.
emptee A said…
but then I think about it more and he is the Saint of Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace and that song is nastalgic for me. So he reminds me of austerity but also of my parents playing the piano and the flute together, of singing beautiful songs and of my father. Just a gentle good man who is continually striving to deepen his faith.