And your point is . . . ?

What I learned today from the blind and shut-in nice old lady that called me:
  • Jesus died on a "torture stake", NOT a cross.
  • God's name is Jehovah, and you should not call Him anything else. Not "God." Not "Lord."

I bet she's a Jehovah's witness.

So, why are these important things to convince me of again? Honestly. I'm not being sarcastic -- I just don't understand. The second point was especially important and was emphasized about 6 times. Maybe if I pray to "God" it would be like I wasn't talking to the right one? Like dialing the wrong number?

Hmm.

( Note: I also learned that Jehovah's witnesses are not at all interested in or convinced by what you might have to say -- IF you could, in fact, get a word in edgewise. AND I am a very poor apologist for my dearest faith. I really must do better next time.)

Comments

emptee A said…
My word! Where to start! I remember when we lived in Baltimore these people used to come by all the time. Mom would say ok look I'm not interested I'm Catholic, if you want a glass of water you are more than welcome....but there were definitely those who were very persistant so much so that Mom had them come back in the evening to talk to Abba....Since Abba is a convert he has so much more knowledge than I will ever have...the JW guy would say well in the Bible it says x x x x x and then my dad was like well if you look in the Latin Version or the Greek Version or the Hebrew Version. My father in the end felt bad because he completely defeated the man.
Mary said…
Yeah, I wish I better at this. *sigh* But I think this lady was very simple and VERY set in her little groove, repeating herself over and over. Plus, she couldn't look up any verses if I had referenced any b/c she was blind! She just kept telling me I didn't have the right translation and that she didn't want to argue just reason through things. :S