Makes me laugh . . .
So, Turtle has successfully entered a very integral stage of childhood.
She is able to identify and point out (enthusiastically!) her bodily functions upon sight. Most specifically, the kind that is most visible in her diaper or her little potty.
The other day, we were driving home from the park, which had been a bit muddy. She was sitting in the carseat holding a big ball that is a favorite and sometimes has to accompany us in the car. She accidentally dropped it down onto her sneakers where she began kicking it. Soon I heard a little surprised voice coming from the back: "Poo! Poo!"
Glancing back I see her, wide-eyed, pointing down at the ball -- which is covered with smears of mud from her shoes.
I laughed at her. I couldn't help it! Great association, don't you think?
That reminds me of a 3yr old boy that was in the primary classroom at a Montessori school that I was an assistant in before Turtle was born. This little boy, short and goggle-eyed, with glasses that were forever perched on the tip of his nose, was frequently in the bathroom changing his wet clothes after an "accident". I was often required to help him a bit with such an endeavor.
One day in the bathroom, he stopped what he was doing, stared at me for a minute, pushed his glasses up on his nose and said in an "aha" tone of voice: "Mrs. ___, your shirt is the color of pee!"
Sure enough. My shirt was yellow.
I was stunned and swallowing my laughter, managed to say something like "Good color matching!" (which was something he had been working on in the classroom earlier!).
I still laugh about this. Children are so candid. So unembarrassed and willing to say whatever is on their mind! I love it! At this age, discoveries come in all kinds . . . and colors!
She is able to identify and point out (enthusiastically!) her bodily functions upon sight. Most specifically, the kind that is most visible in her diaper or her little potty.
The other day, we were driving home from the park, which had been a bit muddy. She was sitting in the carseat holding a big ball that is a favorite and sometimes has to accompany us in the car. She accidentally dropped it down onto her sneakers where she began kicking it. Soon I heard a little surprised voice coming from the back: "Poo! Poo!"
Glancing back I see her, wide-eyed, pointing down at the ball -- which is covered with smears of mud from her shoes.
I laughed at her. I couldn't help it! Great association, don't you think?
That reminds me of a 3yr old boy that was in the primary classroom at a Montessori school that I was an assistant in before Turtle was born. This little boy, short and goggle-eyed, with glasses that were forever perched on the tip of his nose, was frequently in the bathroom changing his wet clothes after an "accident". I was often required to help him a bit with such an endeavor.
One day in the bathroom, he stopped what he was doing, stared at me for a minute, pushed his glasses up on his nose and said in an "aha" tone of voice: "Mrs. ___, your shirt is the color of pee!"
Sure enough. My shirt was yellow.
I was stunned and swallowing my laughter, managed to say something like "Good color matching!" (which was something he had been working on in the classroom earlier!).
I still laugh about this. Children are so candid. So unembarrassed and willing to say whatever is on their mind! I love it! At this age, discoveries come in all kinds . . . and colors!
Comments
It was sooo good to see you and hang out with you on my trip! I really do wish we lived closer....
Turtle really is the sweetest! She'll be a wonderful big sister and help to you :)
~Laura