Reverence
A song from Atrium that I sing to my daughter:
I see the light of Christ in you
The love of God come shining through
And I'm so blessed to be with you
O holy child of God
Tonight I sang this to her, in our quiet moment of nursing and rocking. And I realized that, as I was gazing down at her, that there was another, nestled so tiny inside of me, to add to the song. I was singing that song to my two children now. And I was filled with delight in the richness of the blessings that You have given to me, O Lord.
In April at the Liturgy of the Light celebration in the 3-6 Atrium, the most moving part for me was the moment of the above, short and simple song. All the children sang it together using the hand-motions. The motion for when "in you" and "with you" is sang, is a slow, sweeping motion, arm outstretched, palm upturned, to all the other children sitting around you, as if you were touching them. As the candlelight sparkled in the children's big eyes, they swept their hands, looking at each of their little friends and singing to them as they called them "holy."
And I, grown up, past the age where I can know that I am sinning, knew with awe that I was in the presence of perfect, unstained souls, the purest of white. Their little lights were burning through no haze of sinfulness and brokeness, but shone clear and strong and unfettered.
And who am I to ever think that I could ever lead children so young closer to God, when they are the ones leading me?
I see the light of Christ in you
The love of God come shining through
And I'm so blessed to be with you
O holy child of God
Tonight I sang this to her, in our quiet moment of nursing and rocking. And I realized that, as I was gazing down at her, that there was another, nestled so tiny inside of me, to add to the song. I was singing that song to my two children now. And I was filled with delight in the richness of the blessings that You have given to me, O Lord.
In April at the Liturgy of the Light celebration in the 3-6 Atrium, the most moving part for me was the moment of the above, short and simple song. All the children sang it together using the hand-motions. The motion for when "in you" and "with you" is sang, is a slow, sweeping motion, arm outstretched, palm upturned, to all the other children sitting around you, as if you were touching them. As the candlelight sparkled in the children's big eyes, they swept their hands, looking at each of their little friends and singing to them as they called them "holy."
And I, grown up, past the age where I can know that I am sinning, knew with awe that I was in the presence of perfect, unstained souls, the purest of white. Their little lights were burning through no haze of sinfulness and brokeness, but shone clear and strong and unfettered.
And who am I to ever think that I could ever lead children so young closer to God, when they are the ones leading me?
Comments